With social distancing, stay at home orders, and restrictions in Austin, celebrating mother’s day surely be different this year. A vast majority of restaurants and event recreation areas are closed for safety reasons, However, there are still plenty of things to do to celebrate mother’s day at home. Some restaurants in Austin will also be open during the said date where you can get your favorites by pickup and delivery. Here are some ways to spend Mother’s Day in Austin during the quarantine.
1. Write a thoughtful letter
Express your love and gratitude to your mom with a Happy Mother’s Day or thank you card. Write a special letter to your mother and give it to her this Sunday. Bonus points if your card is DIY-ed/designed by you.
2. Bring Your Dinner Reservation to Your Dining Table
If you used to spend Mother’s Day in restaurants, this time, it could be different. Mother's Day wouldn’t be complete without an indulgent dinner! Cook her favorites and dress up your dining room with a fancy tablescape. Bring the five-star restaurant experience to your home that your mom will truly love.
3. Watch a Family Movie
Get some popcorn and drinks ready while watching her favorite movies with the whole family. Give your mom a cinematic experience even while you are at home.
4. Host a Virtual Happy Hour
If you’re far away from home, it’s time to sign in on Zoom or any video conferencing app. Get your mom to play games, watch a virtual concert, spend the night chatting with some cocktail in hand.
5. Treat your mom with something sweet
Make her a sweet treat this mother’s day! You can either bake her favorites or create something new to her taste. There’s nothing better than having some dessert during the occasion. Check out some dessert recipes here.
Here are some bakeries and restaurants in Austin where you can get your favorite dishes for pickup or delivery on or before Mother’s Day.
1. Cru Wine Bar
Cru is offering a special Cheers to Mom brunch menu with items that are priced a la carte or you can get a prix fixe meal for $28. A mimosa kit is also available for $25.
2. Gelateria Gemelli
The shop is offering several Mother’s Day specials that are available for pickup and delivery from Tuesday, April 28 to Sunday, May 10.
3. Mozart’s Coffee
Mozart’s is offering a Mother’s Day High Tea and Coffee Box stocked with delicious treats and items any mom will love.
4. El Alma
The Boulding Mexican restaurant has a make-your-own-breakfast-taco kit and pretty lavender mimosas.
5. Aviary Wine + Kitchen
Enjoy a full three-course meal at home for two that includes a salad, roasted broccoli, a five-layer wagyu beef lasagna, and a bottle of wine.
6. Easy Tiger
The popular bakery has a special Mother’s Day gift box of baked goods available for pickup and delivery. Order dates are from May 8 to 10.
The neighborhood restaurant and grocery offers a cured salmon brunch package which you can order here.
Pick up a brunch for four at Lenoir. Dishes include a tomato and grúyere quiche, salad, paté, smoked fish salad, strawberry cream scones, and homemade bread.
9. Olive & June
For a delicious Italian brunch or dinner, you can order dishes like wood-roasted spring chicken and lemon ricotta cheesecake at Olive & June.
10. Juliet Italian Kitchen
A carryout brunch is offered by the love Zilker restaurant with two specials for Mother’s Day.
Places in Austin to Get Curbside Drinks
- 4th tap Co-Op – the North Austin brewery co-op is open for call ahead beers and crowlers via curbside pickups.
- Alamo Drafthouse – The Slaughter Lane theater is selling margarita and Moscow mule kits along with beer and wine for pickup through their web store.
- Alice’s Restaurant – The Dripping Springs restaurant at Treaty Oak is selling cocktail kits from old fashioneds to gin and tonics to Bees Knees.
- Apt 115 – This East Austin wine bar is offering to-go wine via phone calls and curbside deliveries.
- Austin Winery – The South Austin winery is open for to-go and delivery wines with a two bottle minimum.
- El Arroyo – The Tex-Mex restaurant with the iconic sign on West Fifth St is selling margarita kits for delivery.
- Forthright – The downtown restaurant is offering cocktails and well as wine for pickup.
- Independence Brewing Co. – The southeast Austin brewery’s curbside to-go beers are limited to 24 12-ounce can of beer per person daily. Orders can be placed online or through the phone.
- Jo’s Coffee – The South Congress location is making frozen peach mimosas while the downtown location has a frosé for pickup.
- Loro – The South Lamar Asian smokehouse is offering takeout beer, wine, sake, and alcoholic slushies.
- Radio Coffee & Beer - The South Austin coffee shop is to-go margaritas and bloody marys, plus beer in growlers.
- St. Elmo Brewing – The South Austin brewery is taking online orders for curbside to-go bottles, crowlers, and growlers pickups.
- Uchi – The Japanese restaurant in South Lamar is offering pickup, curbside, and DoorDash deliveries with beer, wine, and sake.
Where to Get Gifts and Flowers in Austin for Mother’s Day
Here are some flower and gift shops in Austin that offers curbside pickup or delivery on or before Mother’s Day.
2. King Florist
3. Flowers Flowers Inc (Pre-order)
4. Urban Stems