Top 10 Tips for Finding the Right Home for You
Finding the right property is the first step to making the most of the city! But are you more an East Austin type, do you jive more with South Austin, or maybe you want to live downtown? A fun way of trying on a neighborhood for size is to spend a night or two in an Air-BnB in the neighborhood you think you want to live in.
When you've decided that you can see yourself in a certain neighborhood, it's time to look at properties. Before you even look at properties come up with a short list of must-have qualities you'd like to have. Once you've done that have your agent create a list of properties that have sold in your target area in the past year, if you can find at least five homes that would be candidates, you're on the right track. It's easier to find a property when you collaborate with a realtor who understands your vision. Realtors have access to off-market and coming soon listings. Additionally, they've been conditioned to look at properties for their potential, what would it look like renovated, etc.
As soon as you've decided you want to buy a home, get pre-approved with a local lender ASAP. We recommend using a local lender because they know the local market and are in a better position to help you win a deal.
What do you need to know?
Watch the video to find out!
10 Tips to Find the Perfect Home
1. Go for the Long Haul: Staying in place will save you a significant amount in closing and moving costs, as well as give you time to ride out unstable markets.
2. Leave Room to Grow: If you plan on having a baby or may have a kid move back home after college, be prepared with a big enough house
3. Buy What You Can Afford: Be sure you know what you can truly afford, comfortably, and stick to it. It's smarter to buy a home you can afford with ease than one you're struggling to hold onto.
4. Think "Home" First: Rather than thinking like an investor, predicting rates of appreciation and real estate cycles, choose a place you actually want to live in and call "home" first.
5. Go for Your Type: Do you like privacy over simplicity of maintenance? This is a key difference between choosing a single family home or a condominium, for example.
6. Look at Both Old and New: New doesn't always mean better! While you may need to make some changes on a preowned home, there may be other great features you can't get with a newer home.
7. Be Flexible: Open floor plans where the kitchen overlooks a family room are great for keeping an eye out when kids are young, then is great for entertaining once they leave the roost.
8. When It Comes Time to Sell: While you're buying a home to live in for a long period of time, you should also consider how easily it will sell when the time comes.
9. Location, Location: Whatever the interior of the home looks like, make sure the location is just as good - be aware of distance from busy roads, proximity to parks, etc.
10. Check the Surroundings: Before you sign on the line, make sure the surrounds fit your needs. It's best to find a place in a community you'll cherish and enjoy.
We're One Call Away
Hopefully, you realize that we can help you achieve your dreams! Don't go at it alone or work with an agent that isn't as caring as we are.